Monday, March 30, 2009

Artists' ClearingHouse

This weekend was the Artists' Clearinghouse at Crossings. We had great weather; that is to say it was sunny and about 30+ degrees F. Though it started out slow on Saturday morning, we ended up having a lot of traffic come through during the weekend. I did fairly well, selling more scarves than vessels. Thank you to everyone who stopped by!

The thing that surprised me is how many people knew what felting was. Last year it seemed I had to explain it to everyone, but this year, I could hear all the little conversations between people that indicated they had at least a general idea of what it was.

Two of the other artists were friends that had taken my felted vessel class in January: Amy Giannini makes beautiful jewelry, and Stacy Drenckhahn makes fine silver items, raku pottery, and other very creative things. Leisa Luis-Grill had several of her paintings and jewelry in the show. Loretta M. Verbout had photographs, matted and made up as cards. and Becky Jokela had her pastels there, with lots of local scenes. We had a fine time cutting up, laughing and eating when the traffic slowed.

I tried to get a sense of what people were actually buying. Some of the people bought my scarves to use on the wall or table, so I might try making some intended for that purpose. And I think I am ready to try using more prefelts (partial felts, needle felted batts).

No pictures this time as I forgot the camera again. I suppose I could have taken one using my phone, but it never occured to me, and I would have to figure out how to download the pictures onto the computer.
This week the kids are on spring break, so I'll either get a lot of felting done or none at all. We'll see how it goes.
Happy Spring!

3 comments:

beelighted said...

Renee your things are amazing!!! I had a great time doing the show with you :) next time more sleep and less coffee, either way you are great fun. You are such a sweetie!

I took Renee's class at Crossings and learned a bunch, we had a blast and made cool fiber vessels...found a few unused muscles too! I highly recommend everyone taking the next class Renee teaches, you will have a great time and make something interesting!

Renee Nation said...

Hi Stacy,
I had fun, too.
And I'm glad you liked the class. It was a fun group to teach.
Renee

carson said...

Call for artists:
MORE THAN FIBER: A CREATIVE APPROACH TO MATERIAL
GoggleWorks Center for the Arts, Reading, PA | Cohen Gallery | March 7 – April 18, 2010
Juror: Warren Seelig
Entry deadline: December 15, 2009

Download prospectus:
http://www.goggleworks.org/calltoartists.php