Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Taking a Breather

It's spring break for the kiddos, so I'm taking a break from "work." Taking a break means I'm thinking about what project I want to start on when the kids go back to school. I need to make a few small felted bowls as samples for Textile Camp at Crossings. I sold nearly all the small felted bowls I had last weekend. I want to play with my Xpression. There are so many possibilities with it using wool, silk, and other fabrics. Crossings will soon post a call for artists for a collage exhibit, so I've been thinking about how I could do a collage. I want to do some larger felted vessels, this time more intricate, using resists and more embellishing. I'd like to take some of these both to Crossings and to Bluff Country Artists Gallery. Oh, and nuno felting-I'd like to try that, too. I have a million "I want to try that" ideas running around in my head. If the ideas would just line up in an orderly fashion, I could get to them all in turn. But ideas are like children. Each one rudely wants to be first. Ha.

I was very productive before the Artist's Clearing House. I had a list of things needing to be done before the show, and I cranked through my list. Now that the immediate pressure of a deadline is off, I find I'm much less able to prioritize.
I have done a little felting, even though I'm taking a break. I started a small felted bowl last week. It is green on the outside and pink on the inside. My daughter took one look at it and said it was a watermelon, so a watermelon it has become. I've needle felted some seeds on the inside, including a few white ones, and added some lighter green stripes on the skin. I may felt a few "melon balls" to put inside. The top edge will be trimmed into points, in the manner some people (who have way too much time on their hands) actually cut watermelon to serve it.
Here it is, a little blurry.

No comments: