Saturday, January 5, 2008

First Sales of the Year

Crossings sold 5 of my pieces in December during the Fabrications IV: Fibers and Finery show. To see some of my pieces from that show, go to my blog from 2007. It is linked below. What a nice way to start of the year, especially when I need to purchase some wool very soon!
My wonderful husband took several of our children to the National Eagle Center today, so that I could have a "spa" afternoon. That pretty much meant I had the afternoon to do some art, so I played with some of the Felbi Prefelts I bought from Outback Fibers. I really liked working with the prefelts, in combination with some merino batts I got this summer from Suzanne Pufpaff at the Midwest Felting Symposium. I cut shapes from the prefelt for what will become the outside of a vessel, and completely covered the last layer (which will be the inside of the vessel) with strips of the prefelt. The prefelt strips made it much easier to put on the pantihose before felting than when the layer is a wool batt...the batts are fluffy and more easily pushed out of place. This vessel is about 1/2 way felted. I took it off the ball to inspect it and see how the prefelts were working. They look really great and have felted into the merino batt totally. I do have some needling to do to add to the batt where it isn't thick enough. I'll do that before putting it back on the ball to complete the felting process. Right now, I have another vessel wrapped up on the ball ready to be felted. I used the Felbi Prefelts on the 2nd one as well, but in a different manner. I'm excited to see how that one will turn out. I'll post pictures soon.

No comments: